Among various fruits in the world, ‘Dates’ have a number of benefits for our health. Dates relieve constipation because it is formed with great amount of soluble fiber. It also supplies instant energy. In a shorter way it can be stated that Dates are nutritional powerhouse.
Dates are rich in minerals, salts, vitamins and they are excellent source for producing refined sugar, concentrated juice, confectionery pastes and fermentation products. Dates contain small amounts of vitamin C, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Nicotinic Acid etc. Studies have shown
that dates have strong antioxidant, anticancer and antiviral properties.
These are some statistics of major nutritional values that we can have in dates per 100g serving size:
Calories – 277
Protein – 1.81 g
Total Fat – 0.15 g
Carbohydrates – 74.97 g
Dietary Fiber – 6.7 g
Folic Acid – 15 µg
Niacin – 1.610 mg
Vitamin A – 149 IU
Vitamin K – 2.7 µg
Potassium – 696 mg
Calcium – 64 mg
Magnesium – 54 mg
Phosphorus – 62 mg
Benefits we get from dates:
1. Energy Source: Dates are enriched with glucose and fructose, which supplies energy to the human body. Dates are rich in cabohydrate that is used while we are in laborious work – i.e. running, gym workout etc.
2. Bone Health: Dates contain plenty of magnesium that strengthens structure of bone tissue. Vitamin K is found within dates, which is a necessary item for bone mineralization.
3. Brain Function: We know that one of the important reasons of ageing is degeneration of brain tissues. In most of the times, it has been observed that the process of ageing is related to excessive inflammation of the cells. Some oxidants like cortisol control this phenomenon of inflammation. Diseases like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s have inflammatory components. That is why reducing excessive inflammation in body cells can control diseases. Studies have shown that dates have a lot of anti-oxidants that acts like a shield against cortisol.
4. Preserve Intestinal Microbiome: Our intestines are the places where some bacteria reside and help in metabolic function – such as breakdown and assimilation of food. These bacteria may become suppressed due to many reasons. Then our metabolic system goes down. Dates contain an amount of soluble fiber that turns into pre-biotic nutrition for those bacteria. Dates also supply enough nutrition and enhance our immune system reviving our resistance power.
5. Control Cholesterol: Dates are found in several varieties around the world. Several types of dates help in lowering cholesterol in our body. Some of the species of dates like ‘Hallawi’ having catechin that helps in lowering bad cholesterol LDL and increasing good cholesterol HDL. They reduce atherosclerotic deposits in blood vessels, thereby decreasing risk of heart attack.
6. Night Blindness: Degeneration of eye muscles occur due to ageing in mature people. Some people face poor vision in darker situation due to lack of carotenoid anti-oxidant. Dates play an important role to overcome all these complications.
7. Anti-Ageing: Ageing is a natural phenomenon to every living being, and it cannot be stopped. Though some living being may face early signs of ageing before they actually reach in to that stage. The anti-oxidant named carotenoid present in dates acts as ‘Ultra Violet Ray’ reflector thereby protecting human skin from getting damaged. Presence of anti-oxidant in dates also protects human chromosome from getting degenerated and maintains regeneration of cells.
8. Constipation: Dates works as natural laxative regarding diseases of constipation. Dates are consolidated with soluble fiber, which absorb water passing through the intestinal tract. It creates a kind of lubrication in the colon and helps easy movement of the waste elements.
9. Healthy Pregnancy: Dates are full of calories and are good source of folic acid, which is essential for proper development of the embryo. Folic acid is also essential to protect neural tubes from getting damaged. Consuming dates everyday supports formation of baby in a better way.
10. Blood Pressure: Potassium creates a situation in human body that helps in eliminating sodium and excess water from the blood and regulates its volume and pressure. Dates are rich in potassium, so it helps to control blood pressure within normal range.